[pct-l] Hiker smells... (lol)

Alphabetsoup alphabetsoupmmm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 21:58:58 CST 2011

I recently did some experimentation with clothing regarding odor, I came up
with the following conclusion..

everyones body chemistry is different so this may not apply to everyone
but...

Keeping your underarms, crotch and feet aired out and cleaned often seemed
to negate any serious odors. I did notice that most of the odor that
followed me around was in my clothing.

I had two types of shirts during this particular 5 day hike.  A technical
fabric wicking sun shirt-long sleeve and a micro weight Smart Wool shirt.
The synthetic shirt was unwearable after only one day of use. whereas the
smart wool shirt barely had any odor after 4 solid days of hiking (16 miles
average per day) between Mt Laguna and warner springs with weather in the
80's.

I never used any deodorant; there was not any need for it that I could tell.
This goes to the basics of backpacking-Moisture Management and the correct
fabrics for your body to keep you dry.

IMHO, of course