[pct-l] Hiker smells... (lol)

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 12 22:09:31 CST 2011

Good evening, Flying Tortoise,

You are correct:  Long-distance hikers don’t (usually) smell themselves or
each other; at least I don’t.  Any soap that comes to hand works about as
well as anything else – preferably something without perfume.  I usually
carry a couple of small pieces of Ivory Soap, a bar of which I’ve cut into
about 8-10 slices then dried in open air for a week or so before the hike.  The
dry pieces are a tiny bit lighter, but most important they are much harder
and will not turn into a slimy blob when put away without being perfectly
dry of wash-water.  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=267947

Tourists, day-hikers, and week-enders don’t often buy-in to the
deodorant-avoidance
theory.  For them the more $1.98-per-pint cologne they can splash on the
better.  Approaching such as them I make a quick assessment:  It they are
pleasant and thoughtful I stand down-wind and endure the lavender stench;
however, if they are impolite and condescending I deliberately work my way
around up-wind to influence them to leave.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09