[pct-l] 2 questions

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:08:01 CST 2011

I'd guess most hikers spend $4K to $8K, but the range is quite wide (I've
heard of hikers overspending $10K budgets).  I'd guess the biggest
variability is in towns (hotels, restaurants, beer), followed by gear.

I'm cheap. A few people get by on less (e.g. One Gallon), but I'm definitely
on the cheap side.  All of my food is bought in bulk and repackaged, and I'm
not a big gear collector. I'm especially cheap in town, preferring the
trail.

My PCT hike cost $1,825.
    Breakdown:  $575 gear, clothes & shoes, $800 food, $100 restaurants,
$350 gasoline (my wife drove along between re-supply points)

My CDT hike cost $1,875 plus transportation to origin and terminus.
    Breakdown:  $625 gear, clothes & shoes, $825 food, $200 postage, $225
restaurants/RV parks/hotels

I'm pretty set on gear now, so for the next hike I can drop the gear cost
down to just shoes.

So basically, you can spend whatever level you want, depending on how much
you enjoy towns and new gear.  If you've got the cash and inclination, go
for it.  If not, you can still have a great hike on the trail.

Steady