[pct-l] Hiker smells... (lol)

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 14 01:21:32 CST 2011

I have shifted back to wool over the past two summers. I would often hike in a lightweight wicking tee or my UnderArmor base layer when it was cold. After weeks on the trail, no matter how I washed them they still stank(except when Donna washed them, I don't know what she uses but...Thank Donna!). UA and Smartwool both make lightweight wool tees that breath very well, are light, last much longer and are about $10 more than what I was spending on synthetics. When it comes to smell the wool kicks the synthetics butt. My syns. were unbearable after one day's use. I've never been able to raise that much stink in my wool shirts even after a week. I find that the wool is cooler and more comfortable when soaked in sweat than syns.. Also, my wool base layer is warmer for the weight than the synthetic and on the same par as the tee when it comes to odor. The newer "smartwools" don't have the old itchiness issues that uses to make wool difficult to wear. It's a few bucks more but I think that wool is well worth it(I also wear wool socks for all the same reasons-I do find that coolmax seems to smell less than most syns.).

The Wooly-Jackass