[pct-l] Data book and Maps - a little perspective

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 14:51:43 CST 2011

This is a good example of how different people's hiking style can be.  I had
the exact opposite experience.  I used my maps far more often then I checked
the data book.  I used the databook for pretrip planning and didn't use it
much during the trip.  In fact, if I had left the databook at home I
wouldn't have missed it much.

The maps on the other hand... I checked them several times per day.

Seems it depends on lot on hiking style and what kind of pretrip planning
hikers do.

I did meet and occasionally hike with a few people who were very much into
their databooks though.  I think that's interesting.

You know.... it might depend on the type of maps you have.  If your maps
have elevation profiles and distances marked.... I don't you'd use your
databook as much.

Just MHO.

-Austin