[pct-l] Places to stay around Campo

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 16 01:44:29 CST 2011

If you are using public transportation from San Diego, take the metro to El Cajon Transit Center, this is where you'll catch the bus that will take you out to Campo. I believe that the bus to Campo only runs out of the transit center once in the morning(8ish) and once in the evening(5:20 I believe). If you choose to stay the night in El Cajon and catch the morning bus there are several motel options within a short walk of the station. The Travel Lodge is about a 1/2 mile east on the same road as the station(with 3 buffets on the same block, it's never too early in the hike to hit a buffet). I've also stayed at a place called the King's Inn, head east out of the station and take your first left. It's a block north of the station, under the freeway and on the east side, next to a Denny's and across the street from a Mexican restaurant and a 7-11.

Last year we arrived at the station at 5:00pm, saw that we could still make it to Campo that evening and just couldn't resist. We had been on the move for several days on the way to the trail and decided to go with the flow. Why wait to start when we could be on the trail in 2-3 hours? The ride out to the trail was uneventful except for the meth-head with the bad mullet wig and the dentures that kept falling out when she talked, and being a meth-head meant that she was catching those dentures every five seconds. We arrived in Campo just as the sun was setting. We ate a hasty dinner out of the store, filled up our water bottles, bought some baggies, broke down our food on the side of the store and headed south to the border. We lost the last of the light fifteen minutes before the Monument. I reached into my hip-belt pocket, pulled out my headlamp and...nothin. Somehow, between being packed, shipped, unpacked, repacked and so forth the damn thing got turned on and burned out. We couldn't care less, we were so happy to be back on the trail that we laughed about it. We shot some photos at the border, signed the register and headed north with one functioning headlamp between us. We stumbled along for four or five miles laughing and chatting up a storm. We were so ecstatic to be back on the PCT that we didn't even worry that we might be hassled by north bound immigrants,  us camping so close to the fence. We were so wound up that we spent hours laying under the stars remarking what a great decision we had made by not staying in a dirty motel, what with all of the free fresh air(best nights sleep in 9 months). Good times, good times...

Jackass