[pct-l] Protective tarp under tent

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 11:18:02 CST 2011

Hello Mike,

I slept on a air matress  during my five and one-half month PCT journey. It is
an REI LITE-CORE 1.5. It is described as a self-inflating sleeping pad. I bought
the "short" version - 48"x 20"x 1.5". It inflates to 1 1/2" thick. Stored, it
measures 5" x 10.5" and weighs just over a pound. I came to appreciate that its
firmness was adjustable depending on how many puffs you give it after it has
self-inflated. Very comfortable. I too was concerned that it might be
punctured.( In addition to cactus needles there are other things that might
puncture an air mattress - sharp rocks (including lava), small pieces of glass,
parts of pine cones, etc. Here is what I did to successfully prevent this from
happening: Before setting up my tent I always carefully checked out the area
that would be under my air mattress. I used my metal potty trowel and swept it
back and forth like a windshield wiper. This identified hard objects. My tent,
is an MSR HUBBA. I bought the "footprint" to protect the floor of the tent - and
it served as an extra layer to protect the air mattress. Under the air mattress,
inside the tent, I recommend a small piece of TYVEK (20"x36") below places where
there might be pressure - below hips or elbows. Using these precautions, I never
had a leak.

MendoRider