[pct-l] where to mail bear can

Meredith Dicey Ishida merishida at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 14:06:14 CST 2011

Hi, I'm planning for my first PCT and have enjoyed reading this list.

My question is about bear canisters.  It seems like most everyone mails their can to Kennedy Meadows.  But I looked online and saw that there are only a few places between KM and Kearsearge Pass where the canisters are required (in most places, canisters are recommended, not required).

Would it be possible/wise to mail one's canister to Independence, and until then just stealth camp or use bear boxes?

Here is the canister-requirements map that I found:
http://sierrawild.gov/media/site/foodstoragemap/map082609.pdf

Thanks for all your input,
Dicey