[pct-l] buying new light weight pack or using one of my older plastic or aluminum frame packs?

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 23:39:27 CST 2011

How much does it weigh? If it really is a couple pounds, then it competes
with many packs used on the PCT. If you like the way it carries your load,
and you think it will be comfortable everyday for 5 months, then why not use
it?

The biggest advantages internal frame packs have is mobility and load
carrying. The internals are narrower and let you move around a little
better, ie shoulde rmobility, but their bigger advantage is they carry the
weight closer to your body. With an external frame, the weight is further
from your body which moves your center of gravity. It's as if you're
swinging that weight around behind you. Is this an issue? probably, but how
important is debatable. If you have hiked for multiple weeks with it and
didn't mind, then you might be fine.

You could just budget a new pack, but not buy it. Try yours to start, then
if you decide you don't like it, you can always get a new pack along the
way. Maybe start before KO, and then take a look at what the vendors are
offering.

See you on the trail!