[pct-l] memory cards

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 17 09:45:10 CST 2011

Good morning, Hillary,

I carry at least 2 – and often 3 – SD chips for my camera, including the one
in the camera.  At a resupply point I receive a box including 1-2 “clean”
chips from home.  The chip from my camera, plus any others that I may have
filled, is included with my hand-written trail notes and unneeded maps in a
small package to home.  3-5 days later the chip is at home where the photos
are downloaded and posted.  The chip is then erased and readied for a
subsequent resupply box.

If I purchase food locally for a section I may also receive a small mail
package that includes a camera chip plus maps and/or other small things.  If
I have open chips, and don’t need a supply of maps, I won’t receive any
package.

I use the 1G chips, although memory media is so cheap that extra capacity
doesn’t really matter.  I like the somewhat smaller chips as a way encourage
me to change them regularly rather than leaving them in the camera and
encourage the risk of losing of thousands of photos on a very large chip –
either on the trail or in the mail.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye