[pct-l] Bounce Box Strategies

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 17 10:11:04 CST 2011

Good morning, Katie,

I haven’t found it necessary to receive a packet of HalfMile’s maps at every
resupply point.  The weight isn’t great so I usually carry maps for one-two
sections ahead.  Along with the topo’ maps for navigation I also include a
one-page copy of a small-scale road map covering maybe 300-500 miles of
trail just to help me maintain a perspective of where I am.  It’s easy to
hike many hundreds of trail-miles and not have a feel for overall progress.
I like an appropriate road map copy to guide plans for an
unexpected/temporary change in resupply plans.

Not all packages have to be sent to a town Post Office.  Trail Angels, and
many private concerns will accept and hold items for hikers.  Some of the
hiker resupply planning resources show options for non-PO shipments.  In
some regards that is a little more trouble, but the hiker then may not be
tied to the business-hours of the PO.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye