[pct-l] buying new light weight pack or using one of my older plastic or aluminum frame packs?

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 11:52:37 CST 2011

It's my understanding that internal frame packs were developed primarily for
mountaineering where having your center of gravity closer to your core is
more important.  They also usually allow a weight savings. External frames
are fine for improved trails like the PCT as long as your not planning on
prolonged bushwhacking.The chief advantage of external frame packs is
ventilation.  I'm now seeing some hybrid internal frames that mimic
externals in creating space from the back for ventilation purposes.

I agree that the chief issue is weight and then volume; not just the weight
of the pack itself, but what you're putting into it.
I bought a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus in '09, but found it uncomfortable
and opted for my old Mountainsmith Ghost, which is 12 oz heavier.  I hiked
into Warner Springs with Evan who's Mariposa was straining backwards and he
was miserable.

But here's the deal.  I was carrying a base pack of over 18 pounds.  The
pack is rated for 20 pounds.  Now I LOVE this pack.  Why? My base pack is
now under 9 pounds  and the volume has similarly been reduced allowing the
pack to be packed correctly.

But, by the time you hit Big Bear you'll have trail legs and will have
adjusted to carrying whichever pack is on your back.  A caveat, though.  For
us older hikers just strengthening the muscles and having them reach optimal
condition still leaves tendons as a potential problem; that should be a
consideration and argues more strongly for us frail ,elderly types to
lighten up.