[pct-l] Gear Discussions

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Jan 18 11:38:36 CST 2011

In the late 90s I was hiking along the CDT in the Winds and crossed
paths with four thru-hikers.  They were happy to stop and spend a couple
minutes talking about trail conditions.  At one point I asked, "how much
do your packs weigh?"  They shared that info, and I asked if they had
used a different gear piece than they were carrying (I don't remember
the gear I asked about).

One fellow kind of sighed and said they'd been asked that question
numerous times and that whatever works for you is the gear you should
carry.  That kind of shut down my urge to "talk gear" while on the trail.

That said, this forum is the place to ask your questions about gear.
Don't hesitate to ask.  This is the first year in a while that old
timers didn't snap at newcomers to the list and refer them to the archives.

Good job oldtimers!!!!  LOL

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD