[pct-l] Paradise Cafe vs mikes smoked chicken

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 13:49:47 CST 2011

OK, the secrets out Shroomer.  You'd asked further up the trail what was
used on the chicken when I was there.  Mike has his own spices for the
chicken, but they were gone and we were low on supplies by the time you
rolled in, Shroomer.   I had taken the last of the chicken from the freezer
and threw it into a garbage bag and emptied a large bottle of Italian salad
dressing into it; my old standby. I let it marinade for 24 hours.  The
manzanita around Mike's is perfect for the smoker.

One of the hikers was kind enough to offer up some olive oil to fry the
potatoes and onions.

After that, before Mike arrived with a pick-up truck load of supplies ( and
what a load it was!) we were making do with Spanish Rice (I found the tomato
sauce!) and beans with sausages.  You definitly want soak the beans for 24
hours, multiple water changes, or everyone will pay the consequences.
(Mike, you probably realized I was serious when I showed up with my own
chef's knife).

By the way,  the Jose burger is killer; if you stop at Mike's, however, you
won't be quite as hungry as you would otherwise.  Hunger is, after all, the
best condiment.