[pct-l] Acclimation to altitude

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 18 20:56:20 CST 2011

The good news is that you will have been at quite high altitudes for
a month before you hit the High Sierra. And you will walk to the High
Sierra, making your altitude gain automatically gentle. You will
acclimatize painlessly.

Once in a while someone will have trouble, but it is typical that you
won't have any trouble.

I remember talking with Maw-ee and Paw-ee near Tehachapi. They were
talking about the high, 5000 foot altitudes of the AT. I checked the
Data Book and informed them they were sitting at higher than 5000
feet right now.

You will be even higher than 5000 feet well before Tehachapi.