[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows to Mammoth

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Jan 19 12:38:53 CST 2011

On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Mike Chapman wrote:

> Has anyone here on the list went thru this stretch without a resupply?
> I may have to catch some fish between here,pinenuts,buy from fellow
> hikers,carry 50lbs. of food!,who knows? I know this may be a huge
> stretch because of elevation and snow(slow miles),but I need to close
> some gaps in the budget,I feel like Jerry Brown. Ideas welcome,I will
> be starting mid may.Thanks.

That is a really long stretch.  If you are trying to avoid VVR to save
money, I might suggest Lone Pine to Mammoth.  Exit the PCT at Trail Pass
and hitch into Lone Pine from there.

Another advantage of this approach would be that you could send your
packages to the PO at Lone Pine instead of KM and save money.  You
could just purchase food at KM for the two days to Lone Pine and not
have to pay any package fees at KM.

Regarding general strategies for saving money I think the simplest
approach is to avoid staying in town.  When you do stay in town,
consider staying at a campground instead of a hotel.  Lodging and
restaurant meals are probably the two biggest expenses on the PCT.

Getting a nice warm shower without a hotel room can be a bit tricky but
are often available at campgrounds, hostels, or perhaps if you ask
nicely at a motel.  I think Yogi's handbook points out showers that
are available in town without a room.

Motel rooms can be pretty cost effective if you don't mind sharing (4 to
a room, for example) but please don't try to sneak hikers in for free.
Follow whatever terms the owners have for extra guests so that the hikers
that come after you are still welcome (this often means not offering
your room to hikers just for a shower).

Staying with trail angels can also save you money as compared to a
hotel/motel but please don't think these stops are free. Trail angels
should be compensated for their services, especially ones that offer
room, board, laundry, trail shuttle services, and more.

Radar