[pct-l] Flying

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 14:47:14 CST 2011

Brandon, is this a thru hike?

If so, would the cost to get your backpack there really be a lot compared to
the entire expense? I don't think cost should be your focus on this aspect
of the trip. There are plenty of other places to save. Skip a single zero in
town and you pay to ship your stuff!

You really should consider shipping it. USPS, UPS, FedEx are all better at
shipping things than the airlines :P

How much will it impact your hike if they lost your backpack for a couple
days? Your expenses while waiting off trail, and without your stuff, could
be far more than shipping your gear. Ship it to Campo and it will be waiting
for you :)

I'm lucky enough to have a couple options for rides, so this isn't an issue
I have to deal with. Your email made me think about it, and I would ship all
my hiking hear to Campo. Travel with travel stuff, ie comfy cotton cloths
and hotel style toiletries. Then swap in Campo. Maybe travel with your
bounce box!

I'm curious what you finally decide to do.