[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows to Mammoth

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 16:43:15 CST 2011

KM to Red's is 203 miles. That's doable without a resupply, you will just
have an enormous pack leaving KM. If you want to avoid VVR and MTR, consider
the suggestion to resupply at Lone Pine or Onion Valley.

As a thru hiker, you just get focused on keeping the pack weight to a
minimum, which leads to more frequent resupplies. Even if snow slows you
down, you can do the 203 miles in 14 days only hiking 15 miles a day. Now it
won't be easy. That's 15 mile days, through rugged terrain, with no rest
days. Doable? Yes. Fun? No. Missing out on the best part of the hike because
you're moving too fast? Absolutely!

After all the talk about VVR, I'm putting it back on my list, and instead am
skipping Mammoth. This is mostly due to the fact I've hiked in the Red's
Meadow area many times and don't mind missing Mammoth Lakes. I'll go from
VVR to Tuolumne.

I'm resupplying via Kearsage also though. I have a friend that is meeting me
to hike KM to Onion Valley with me. We're taking that section nice and slow.
He won't be the hiking machine I'll be, and I don't mind going slowly
through my favorite place in the world! We're planning 10 days from KM to
Onion Valley with a day to climb Whitney. If he is hiking further then 10
mile days, then we will just do a zero on the trail. Plenty of nice spots
for that! ;)

I don't think anyone is saying you can't go from KM to Red's Meadow. I think
we're all trying to recommend you don't. There are inexpensive options to
resupply. You can use Kearsage Pass and resupply in Independence. Heck, if
you're near me, I'm sure my buddy will give you a ride down the hill. I
already told him he should expect a full load of hiker trash on his drive
out. ;)