[pct-l] flexibility

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 03:58:09 CST 2011

While working in Stehekin in '08 my partner and I had the opportunity to speak with many of the thrus who stopped off for one last zero. It was a great chance to pick the brains of those who had succeeded in their dream. I would pester hikers about their gear or base weight, their diet, the best resupply strategies, what shoes to wear. In time I realized that most of the hikers were so happy to be finishing that they would rather talk of other things. To stem my tendency to ask too many annoying questions I changed my approach. I began to ask only one, " What piece of advice do you have for someone hittin the trail next year?"

I had expected to receive a range of responses covering many topics. Instead, time and time again I heard back: "be flexible".

This seemed logical, an easy piece of advice to follow. Simply put, during the course of a six month hiking trip, things wont always go as you plan. Roll with it. Don't take it too seriously. BE FLEXIBLE! Be willing to change your gear or diet or schedule to meat your needs as they change.

When you get to the border, take all of your winter plans and expectations and leave them at the monument. Very little is going to happen as you planned. After a while your life is going to be reduced to a few basic needs: water, food and rest-and for many, stimulating hiking companions. All of your worries about gear or base weight or shoes will work themselves out naturally through your on trail experiences. Remember that all of the other hikers around you are going through the same highs and lows as you and many are willing to lend a hand or a word of advice-be open minded.

Life is exquisite when you experience it at three miles an hour.

Jackass