[pct-l] buying new light weight pack or using one of my older plastic or aluminum frame packs?

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 08:48:27 CST 2011

Who cares if the "experienced" hikers at the kickoff think your pack is a joke. These are the same "experienced" hikers that attach saws to their hockey sticks for ice axes. :-)

You know how well the external frame works for you, that's all that matters. The only real disadvantage to an external frame would be on third class scrambling, where you would want a pack to ride closer to your body. So unless you plan on some off-trail adventures along the way, and their are lots of opportunities for that, an external frame should be fine. If it works for you.

Gary