[pct-l] pct-l] On-trail shopping

Ann Marie dbanmrkr at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 17:20:55 CST 2011

Re: I had an idea of seeing how far $50-75 would get me on the trail,the
section that ive been talking about not resupplying on(ken to
mammoth).

Mike,

You'll do just fine, even with a tight budget.  Take lots of dried rice
and pasta (angel hair/tortellini) pasta, and ramen/asian/miso soups thru
 the Sierras. And dried veggie chili or beans from Fantastic Foods.
Squash them down and poke holes in the wrappings (or any dry-food
wrappings) to get them as small as possible, and I strongly recommend a
small bottle of olive oil or dry ground flaxseed - it is worth the
weight thru this section alone - you'll manage to regain enough calories thru
every other section thru your own packing.

I did the JMT in late summer 09 as a section hiker, going southbound. Yes, you CAN
yogi day section hikers for food if necessary - all of us are
carrying extra food. But please don't ask a thru-hiker for food.  Also
please don't count on going thru the buckets at the MTR unless you pay
for the re-supply bucket delivery. I paid, bought alcohol fuel, raided the
buckets, and still left some of my re-supply food behind. More
importantly, I was able to leave my trash behind thanks to their
generosity.  Keep in mind that MTR won't normally let you in without a
resupply unless you are especially charming. They work their butts off
accommodating hikers and I'll spend the $ to go back in a heartbeat, but
 please don't expect freebies from them. As everyone has stated, it
takes $$ to get the goods to them in the first place. Their fee is not
unreasonable.

I was going southbound and took a night off (but not a zero) at Mammoth. This night was not originally planned since I had the MTR resupply, but the night was needed to convince a co-hiker that she could go no farther. I got off the trail before 5 pm. She didn't meet me in Mammoth until 9 pm. I was back on the PCT by 7 am the next morning. If I had to do again, I would not exit the trail. It was not difficult, but certainly not restful, and was definitely wasteful in terms of $$. Wait until Tuoluomme when going north.