[pct-l] Solar chargers or Battery transfer device?

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 18:55:24 CST 2011

comes down to how long between your resupplies.

the current solio charger only holds as much electricity as one lithium AA and
takes 8 hours to charge even in dessert sun.  (our solio holds 2250,   an e^2
lithium AA is 2975,  alkaline duracell procell is 2250)

don't be concerned about the total batteries for five months,  think of how many
for 5 days.   one resupply ...
... the solar charger is a fixed weight ... with AA's you can take less on a 3
days stretch and more on a ten day stretch.

we took a solar charger in 2010 and will not in 2011, we used the solio "tough"
one .  worked great but simply wasn't worth the weight.

lastly,  lithium batteries weight 40% less than alkaline, and have 50% more
electricity as even the very best procell alkalines.  are also unnaffected by
any temps we would see.

i don't know specifically how many Mah your droid battery takes or at what
voltage so i can't help knowing how many e^2's it takes to charge the thing
fully once...   but do know,  it takes half a batteries power to charge the last
20% ...   so, when using the igo,  charge to 75 or 85 %,   use,  then charge
again with the same batteries, and you will get more juice out of them,  this is
due ot the increased capacitance of the charged ions in your droidX battery...
eventually because no matter how many MaH are available, they are only 1.5 to 3
volts,   they will be unable to push power into the battery as efficiently.

our cell phone takes a 4.2V 950 MaH battery,  so 1900 MaH at e^2'd voltage ...
meaning 2 AA's will charge our cell phone fully three times.

the iphone gets a charge and a half off 2 AA's if they are top quality lithium.

hope this helps,
~Outpost.