[pct-l] Muir Grave Site

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 23:15:54 CST 2011

Then you walked right past my house, the last one on Canyon Rd, just before
the tunnel under hwy 4.  The ridge you hiked on from the bridge to Mt. Wanda
was going to be 800 or so homes 25 years ago.  My wife and I and 2 other
friends founded a PAC to fight the zoning changes needed to subdivide the
land, and after a long battle, and becoming very politically astute, won.
 Sierra Club provided lawyers for the technical issues.  We elected Mayors
and council people and leafleted every house in town for a parks bond
measure  and ultimately were given the first bond issuance for the purchase
of the acreage near the water.  Only one house was built, and all the rest
of the ridge is now Regional Park, and the Bay Ridge Trail.  Out of that PAC
came the Alhambra Creek committee, a great bunch of folks, and the Muir
Heritage Land Trust of which I was founding member.  Thousands of acres are
now preserved in and around Martinez, much of it Muir's old ranch, and I'm
damned proud of it.  Nothin' like an angry "tree hugger" which we were
called for years, and a name I wear proudly.

When did you do the work for the Ridge Trail?  And stop in if you're ever
here again.

Shroomer