[pct-l] stoves?

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 11:45:02 CST 2011

Hi Shelly

Have you ever has to use your dirt pile to extinguish an alcohol flame?

I'm asking because I'm not sure it would. On a few occasions I've had extra
fuel on the way out of The Canyon. I've found an entertaining way of
disposing of the extra weight. I'm usually camped on rock in The Canyon, so
I find a spot that has some sandy dirt that I know has a rock under it (so
the fuel doesn't drain away completely). I'll pour some alcohol out and
light it. It's an entertaining little light show at night.

Before anyone screams "You're gonna set The Canyon on fire!", I'm very
careful to make sure nothing flammable is nearby. It also does not make a
large flame, nor does it spread. The alcohol goes into the sand/dirt and
then wicks back up slowly. It will burn for several minutes with the tiniest
amount of fuel. I don't think I would try this anyplace other then a rocky
desert obviously. ;)

Given that experience, how are you using the dirt to extinguish the flame?
I'd be worried it might still wick it's way back up and keep burning.