[pct-l] Snow depth guesstimate

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Jan 21 21:50:26 CST 2011

Hi, Mike!

Thanks for asking, but as you said, there is no real degree of certainty how
much snow will be up in the Sierra by the time you get there. However, it is
certain that you will have snow to some degree and depth as you progress out
of Kennedy Meadows toward Forester Pass and beyond.

I was just told that the southern Sierra is currently holding 200+% of its
"normal" snowpack. What does this translate to for the thru hiker? Even if
the weather dries up from here out, you'll probably have snow to contend
with along the PCT in the higher reaches of the Sierra, so learn how to
hike, camp, navigate, and in all other ways travel in snow.

"But I'll get cold and wet and won't be able to do my required 24 miles per
day!" Many of our Snow Course students ask this during every weekend
training and our response is to simply change your plans to match what
you're able to do in the reality of the conditions expected. What does that
mean? It means that it is much harder to hike over snow than you think, so
you should cut your mileage expectancies in half and double your food. In
your planning stage go out and camp in the snow. Find out what that requires
of your gear, food, and clothing. Then do a multi-day snow trip where you
have to snowshoe 5 or 8 miles each day and see what that does to you. You'll
find that if you know what to expect and plan accordingly, you'll do just
fine whether there is 12 inches or 12 feet of snow under you.

Yes you can hike over snow for days on end without getting cold or wet! We
teach and demonstrate this to our students every winter and spring. What you
choose to do, carry, eat, and wear is another matter and certainly your
choice. All we ask as wilderness emergency responders and outdoor skill
trainers is that you learn what it takes to do what you expect to do in the
conditions realistically encountered at the time of year and altitude where
you're going so that you don't get into trouble.

 Every hiking season we hear of thru hikers (for they are the ones out there
so early in the season) who run out of food, hike in cold and wet shoes
daily, slip on the snow and get hurt, get lost, try to hike too far in the
snow and get exhausted, and suffer through nasty creek crossings after which
they either have to be rescued or leave the trail disappointed,
disillusioned, or worse. Our wish at Mountain Education is that every hiker
have the trip of their dreams, one that is fun and safe and who's stories
afterwards cause others to desire the same. Research from those who have
already done the hike what they encountered, test yourself in those
conditions, plan accordingly, and start your thru hike prepared and the
wiser for it!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education