[pct-l] Bounce Box Y or N ?

Matthew Edwards Hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 14:02:50 CST 2011

I found the same thing as Jackass. (I still have trouble writing that!)
I never needed or wanted a bounce box on the PCT or CDT.
However I did see other hikers use them. Socks had a small fishing tackle box with a micro sized padlock
as her bounce box!
Ido had a 5 gallon paint bucket with a snap on lid.
I think for someone that came from another country or did not have a support person at home the bounce
box makes a lot of sense.
Aslo if you carry a lot of photo or video equiptment that requires special chargers etc.
Personally, the less i had to deal with in town, the more i enjoyed my stay.
Like Jackass said you can get anything you need along the way.
Before my hike I had worries about whether I would be able to get batteries for my
camera or new socks. It turns out people in small towns need those things too
and it really was never a problem to get things on the trail.
Off hand I remember outfitters in Idylwild, Big Bear, Ridgecrest, Mammoth, Tuolumne Meadows, Ashland OR, and Packwood WA, not
to mention all the hiker boxes along the way that were full of amazing amounts of cast off gear and comestibles.
-Iceaxe