[pct-l] MAIL DROPS

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 25 17:42:44 CST 2011

I'll try to answer to the best of MY ability.

Rule #1 to making this work: Never ship yourself anything you can buy
in a gas station. That means cookies, candy, granola bars, crackers etc.

Rule #2 of maximizing mail drops: Don't be picky. Eat peanut butter
and jelly sandwiches for breakfast and lunch. Eat pop-tarts and
Liptons even if you are tired of them. And you don't care if it's
expensive.

Towns where you probably can't even make do from what's available in
the store (See Rule #2):

1. Warner Springs. The pack is large and might eat the convenience
store out. Plus it's nice to see that the whole mail drop system works.

2. Hikertown. The store there is just too barren. I have been there
three or four times now and still struggle to even find a decent
snack. But you don't need to ship there at all, really.

3. Kennedy Meadows. The pack is big and voracious. The store tries to
stay stocked but it can be very barren.

4. Elk Lake. There just isn't enough food. But there are granola bars
and chips. You don't need to ship to Elk Lake at all if you stop
before or after there or get a ride to Bend.

5. Timberline Lodge. Hitch a ride to Government Camp. No mail drop
needed. Otherwise, mail drop needed because the only food-like
substances were inside vending machines. Unless you think you can
hide enough groceries from the ayce buffet (I'm KIDDING!)

6. Stehekin. There's food there, but not quite enough.

I skipped the Eastern Sierra. There are too many ways you can deal
with that.

Every other town that I stopped in I thought I could resupply. That
goes for Old Station, Burney Falls State Park, Seiad Valley, Mazama
Village, Shelter Cove, Kracker Barrel at White Pass, Snoqualmie Pass.
But I am not picky. I can make it work. In fact, I did resupply at
some of these places.