[pct-l] Sierra Snow Report...getting better

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Jan 25 10:20:28 CST 2011

Hi gang,
Trouble is back in town which,  like always,  is good news for the girls
but bad news for the guys.
Nothing new....the Sierra is still buried in snow.
Mammoth Mountain has already received 324'' of snow this season which is
about the average total for the whole season or about twice the average
snow for this time of the year and the season is far from over.
To give you an idea of how much snow we are talking about,.....Jim, from
Vermilion, wrote  "Reinhold, I'm heading back this weekend to shovel
roofs, not sure were we'll put it as the buildings appear to be buried.''

Serves that ''LOUSE'' right!!!.....when I picked up my resupplies last
year he called me a trouble maker and did not give me the free beer or
soda which is customarily given to JMT & PCT thru-hikers.
However, Vermilion is still my favorite resupply in the Sierra...they
treat thru-hikers right...free beer, free camp site, meals loaded with
''horsepower'' and a store with most everything a hiker needs to
''hike-on''.

I expect  ''TWO''  beers when I resupply at Vermilion this year!!!!!

Say Switchback,
This has been three solid weeks of high powered skiing for me and I have
not gone down once.
I can think of only one logical explanation.........I  AM  GETTING  BETTER.
Some things do get better with age....take wine and whisky for instance.

I  ''MUST  BE''  one of those  ''RARE  GEMS''  that get better with age.
I am so exited about this I can't sleep,......knowing I will be better
tomorrow than I am today!!!!!

JMT Reinhold
Your excited trail companion