[pct-l] gaiters

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 26 22:20:24 CST 2011

Good evening, Hillary,

I use gaiters virtually all the time on any trail.  That’s just my personal
preference to keep the “trail mix” out of my shoes.  My shoes are loose at
the ankles, and my socks are thin.  That results in gaps around the tops of
my shoes that invite an accumulation of junk.  Many hikers don’t have that
problem, or they have a way of ignoring the stuff if it does get in.  Some
hikers wear thick socks which they allow to bunch in roles and folds just
above the shoe, thereby serving to deflect trash.  Even with gaiters I
sometimes get lots of fine sand in the shoe which mostly enters through the
mesh fabric over the toes where the gaiters are substantially ineffective.

Compared to most trails – even a city park trail -- there is nothing
inherently “trashy” about the PCT.  I’d say by now you should know enough
about your own walking to have an idea if you can hike without being
aggravated by trash.  DirtyGirls are very popular, being effective, light,
and moderately priced.  I don’t wear them -- preferring plain black rather
than bizarre patterns and colors.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09