[pct-l] Filtration ??

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Fri Jan 28 14:02:47 CST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Thru Hiker <athruhiker2006 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What might be the Filtration / Purification system of choice on the PCT? Is
> there a 'most popular' or it all across the board?

Personally, I would use something really robust for So-Cal, with the
gross grimy disgusting water sources there (at least in the pre cache
days).

Remember that just collecting the water from shallow slimy trickles,
or the last few liters in the bottom of a cow trough may be difficult.
Pre filtering the green gunk with a bandana or coffee filters really
helps keep your pump from clogging, and increases the electiveness of
the chemicals.

North of KM, I ditched all water treatment except for a few grams of
chemicals in case I was stuck with a questionable source.

YMMV. HYOH.