[pct-l] Thunder Storms

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sun Jan 30 11:27:20 CST 2011

Others will probably have more specifics. Searching the web you can find
good advice as well as BS.

General rules:

     get off of high places like ridge tops and peaks and get low.
     stay away from bodies of water such as lakes.
     being amongst trees is good but don't sit next to the trunks and stay
away from the tallest trees.
     beware of caves and rock overhangs unless the air gap above your head
is greater than your height above the ground.
     squatting down helps as does sitting on a foam pad; combo is a bit better
     if with others keep at least 50 feet (~17 meters) between each person.
reason -- if one is hit by lightening, others won't also be and can render
first aid (& last rites? (:-(
     being in a tent with metal tent poles may increase your risk.

     avoidance is best -- pay attention to the weather and avoid
unnecessary risk.

     I was on a peak top in Yosemite leading a group. I stood up and
someone else commented "John, you hair is standing on end." I put my hand
up and could feel the charge on my arms. I ordered the group to hike down
to lower ground immediately. We all survived without problems. Though there
were a couple who thought that sheltering underneath a rock overhang was
smart -- it wasn't, but they were OK because there wasn't a strike close to
where they were.

Tortoise

<> Because truth matters.  <>