[pct-l] High Sierra footwear - waterproof or not?

Meredith Dicey Ishida merishida at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 14:29:55 CST 2011

I know that everyone has different opinions on this one... just trying to get a feel for pros and cons, and what most thruhikers prefer.

Do you wear regular running shoes and just walk 'em dry after creek crossings and getting wet walking in snow?

Or are Goretex trail runners with waterproof gaiters the way to go?

I really don't like cold wet feet (not that anyone does), but I have heard some say that it's inevitable so you might as well wear shoes that dry quicker rather than Goretex which stays soggy for days.

On the Ozark Highland Trail, I wore Goretex trail runners, and for creeks took them off and crossed in socks (putting on a dry pair after the crossing).  It worked really well for Arkansas, but I've heard that the Sierra creeks in early summer are far too deep and rapid to use that method.  So now I'm trying to figure out what kind of shoes to buy for the Sierras.  Any advice?

Dicey