[pct-l] ice axe

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Jan 31 17:25:48 CST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Brandon McGinnity <bmcginnity at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know there's lots of opinions here, but is an ice axe really necessary? I
> wasn't going to use one, instead depending on my trekking poles, but I'm
> beginning to think I should reconsider.

Is a seat belt really necessary? you can go your whole life without
needing it. Or your life can end abruptly because you didn't have one
on.

IMHO, in most years, yes an ice axe is a really good idea, or at least
a self arrest grip on your trekking poles like a Whippet
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/ski-poles/whippet-self-arrest-pole

Before Ned chimes up that a self arrest grip is not enough and you
really need a certified long handled ice axe, I think that generally
you are not going to be walking on any snow that is so hard a Whippet
would not work.

As always IMHO, YMMV, HYOH