[pct-l] ice axe length

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:44:54 CST 2011

Hi PCT MOM,

I carried an ice axe over the San Jacinto's, and from Trail Pass north to
just beyond Ebbits Pass, where I left it standing against a tree trunk
during a terrific hail storm.  I miss the poor little thing.  It was a ULA,
and very light.  I used it extensively over the San Jacintos, which were
actually more dangerous than anything I encountered in the Sierra, and I
used it a lot in the Sierra too.  I can't imagine doing some of the icy
slopes on Fuller Ridge without it.  We were self belaying up hill, and
hanging on for dear life in places, while we kicked in steps with our
crampons and micro spikes, and at a few places using it to chop the steps
too.

Given the two pieces of ice equipment, traction devices or ice axe, I found
that I used the crampons for many more miles than the ice axe, but when you
needed the axe, like for chopping steps, self belaying, or carving off the
top of a cornice, I wouldn't have wanted to have been without it.  My own
personal opinion, after years of crossing the Sierran Western Divide in
spring, but never having lived on snow for a month straight as we did on the
thru hike last year, is to carry both.  I've always used them whenever I've
been in serious snow and ice, and think it's worth the weight for the safety
it provides.

That being said, I've changed my opinion of what is "necessary safety
equipment" so drastically since my own journey to ultra light hiking, that
who knows, maybe in a year or so I'll be doing it without either, and have
some new way to do it that's lighter.  Twenty years ago, I wouldn't have
considered hiking in tennis shoes and one layer ankle socks,  Dirty Girl
Gaiters, a frameless pack, tarps and tarp tents, home made alcohol stoves,
and on and on.   But I won't go back to the "safety" I had with my old gear
and 60lb pack weight.  The evolution of our sport continues.  Some things
will probably never be outdated, and I'm still carrying both my ice axe and
crampons, and will for a while longer.  But who knows...

I hope you guys are all well up there in Cascade Land, and thanks again for
all the hospitality PCT MOM.  I hope to see you in Sept. again this year.

Shroomer