[pct-l] Erik the Black's Maps: They're Excellent!!!

J. Michael Hanssen mhanssen at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jan 31 21:07:57 CST 2011

Okay, I HAVE to weigh in here.
I used Eric's atlases for a 600 mile section hike last year (OR & WA).
I also had an altimeter and Halfmiles waypoints on a garmin GPS as
backups. Thank heavens for Halfmile! Eric's books had beaucoup errors
every single day to the point where I hardly used them, preferring  my
GPS. His maps were enough for reference.

Many other hikers near the lead of the pack as well as several SOBOs
also used Eric's books and had identical complaints. Nobody I spoke
with (at least a dozen) thought Eric's books were worth it. They ALL
complained. Eric became our Joke of the Day.

You can get to Canada with Eric's atlases - you just won't enjoy it
much. If anyone wants a deal on a used OR, partially used WA & 3
new&unused CA atlases, contact me directly.  I'm thruhiking this year
with Halfmile's maps and Yogi's book - both are accurate and filled
with needed information.

I like Eric's concept, but he needs (more) accurate information. I
emailed Eric about these problems and offered constructive criticism.
He ignored me for weeks, but finally replied. His answer was
disappointedly weak stating that he was "only trying to improve on the
previously available inaccurate info" in the PCT guidebooks. Wish I
had known THAT before I ordered.

I don't know where he got his info (elevations, campsites, water,
mileage), but it wasn't from walking the trail himself (unless he got
lost and confused a lot).

Aloha, speedbump