[pct-l] Starting on July 6 in Campo. Impossible?

Matthew Tock mattock8 at care2.com
Fri Jul 1 14:36:58 CDT 2011

Hi all,

Sorry, not sure if the first post made it through. This is my first post
to the archives, but I have been reading through and gleaming info for
the past few months. I've been trying to start this hike for the past
two months but keep coming up with a myriad of setbacks. Tried starting
out at Snoqualmie Pass and going south but just ran into too much snow
and sounds like its the same in Northern Oregon right now too. Now, I am
planning on heading back to San Diego and starting at Campo, which was
the original plan back in May. I have had a couple people tell me that
because of the heat and the lack of water they do not recommend that. I
have fought fire the past three seasons and am used to dealing with the
extreme temps and managing water, but my question is whether this is
just a really bad idea still to start in Campo in July? Are their
predictable water sources at least every 20 miles or so even now? By
hiking at night, can I make this work? Thanks all of you for the time
and info.

Matt

and impact the causes you care about most. Over 12 Million members!
Feed a child by searching the web! Learn how <a href="http://www.care2.com/toolbar" target=_blank>http://www.care2.com/toolbar<a>