[pct-l] Trinity Alps hike report

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Sun Jul 3 13:13:23 CDT 2011

Hi, all:

A friend just sent me this message--he is now hiking from Castle Crags
to Ashland. He did this section of trail last year, so he knows the
route, which seems to be one of his saving graces. He is also in his
thirties and in great physical shape. Looks like he made it about 80
miles north of Castle Crags before bailing:

Hey Mary!

I'm in Etna right now, and holy smokes this snow has been seriously
kicking my ass.   I made it from Castle crags (I-5) to carter summit
(right between the Trinities and the Russians).  There I hitched down to
Callahan, and over here.

I'm really not feeling it this year, the snow is different, it is very
deep and seems to have a lot of air underneath.   I'm postholing like a
son of a gun.  The high country of the trinities is just covered in
snow.  I barely saw trail at all.  Luckily I know the route well, so I
just followed the ridges.

I think I'm going to hitch-hike up to Seiad Valley, then finish the hike
from there.  I know that country well, so a snow covered trail won't be
that much of a problem.

Take care,
Scott

Take care out there. I'm scheduled to do a trip into the Trinities on
July 19th--even that sounds iffy now, although the temps are in the 90's
here now for the next week at least.

--Fireweed