[pct-l] Trail conditions report from Tuolumne to South Lake Tahoe

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 11:53:24 CDT 2011

I received this update from 2001 thru-hiker David Christofili.  Posting to
the list with his permission:

I'm in South Lake Tahoe now.  I and a few others made it past the impassable
river crossing(s) between Tuolumne and Sonora Pass that Wing it and Don't
Panic said they couldn't cross.  Maybe the water was too high when
they tried to cross.  Just need to head up stream on McCabe Creak,
head back down to Return Creak and then about 1/4 mile upstream on
Return Creak there is a downed tree to cross.  Even if the downed tree isn't
there then the water is fairly calm enough to cross.

Other than that the Kerrick Canyon was raging, but we hiked up and down
for about 1-2 miles and found another tree down stream about 200 meters
south of the P.C.T. crossing at Kerrick Canyon.

Don't want to sound arrogant, because Don't Panic and Wing it are
good people and very strong hikers, but as long as you're with someone
and/or confident in your river crossing/navigation skills, then it's doable,
and the river/water levels should be peaking or already have peaked by now.

The ranger at Tuolumne said the river looks like it has started going
down about 1 week ago.

We met a guy cross country skiing who's been skiing for 50 years, and this
is the first time he's been skiing in July.  That was at Ebbett's Pass.

My toes are numb, but the feeling should come back in a couple weeks.  No
discoloration or infection or trench foot I don't think.