[pct-l] Garmin 60csx

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 14:28:39 CDT 2011

Hi Doug,

I also have a Garmin 60cxs.  While I was at the Kickoff this year Halfmile was very helpful in that he personally put all of his waypoints onto my GPS.  I had been having trouble trying to do it myself.  I have tested it since then several times on parts of Sections D and E (I live in Agua Dulce).  I'm not starting my 500 mile SOBO thru-ride of the Sierra until August 8 - if the snow melts and the trail is passable for a horse.

The waypoints show up when I enter "custom points of interest" while I am on the PCT.  The map will show on the screen with the PCT route and waypoints with miles from the Mexican border on each - every half mile.  You will see a black triangular arrow pointing in the direction that you are going.  The arrow stays in one place while the map moves as you move along the trail.  It works equally well whether you are going NOBO or SOBO.  You can go "in" or "out" by pressing the buttons.  If you go off the PCT route it will become obvious since the arrow will no longer be on the PCT marked route - you can then navigate your way back and see your progress on the screen.

Have a great hike,
MendoRider/Ed Anderson