[pct-l] Trail Conditions Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows

Gary Swing homelessontherange at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 16:42:12 CDT 2011

Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows wasn't too bad. Tuolumne Meadows to Sonora Pass was totally impassible, but we did it anyway. :-)

Seriously, though, some of the fords in Yosemite were extreme and there's a ton of snow out there. The "trail" is buried deep under snow for the most part and the runoff conditions are epic, but we made it though by looking for log crossings, following the opposite of the creek in places, and avoiding certain snow slopes. The views are spectacular, but the snow and water conditions are absurd in many places. I think it would be nearly impossible to stay on the "trail" right now unless you follow a GPS track every step of the way and call out the Corps of Engineers to erect bridges over all the creeks.

Have fun and don't drown out there.

"Half Fast"
Arrived in Bridgeport July 7