[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] Donahue 07/02/11

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jul 8 08:43:56 CDT 2011

Good morning,

Ned and I are typically further apart in opinion than he represents.  The
good news is that apparently neither of us much cares what the other does.  As
it should be, he doesn’t try to convince me and I don’t try to convince him.

I often take issue with Ned’s posted positions because I believe List
readers deserve the perspective of all available information when making
their own personal choices.  If Ned fronts a position which is not logically
defended and/or not subsequently discussed by others having their own unique
observations, opinions, options, and alternate methods new, less-experienced
readers may assume his must be THE answer, i.e. a mutual utterance of the
community.  I believe that kind of information omission is regrettable, and
I have a similar objection to so-called FAQ lists which may also floated
without discussion or “peer review”.

Ned shouldn’t feel like the Lone Ranger as a target of my alternate views:
I’ve long provided input to many others from him up to – and specifically
including – that grand, high, omnipotent, ultralite guru Ray Jardine, with
whom I communicated repeatedly and at great length about many of his
published, but unsound or doctrinaire, positions.

I agree with Dennis Prager: "Prefer clarity to agreement."

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09