[pct-l] section O very recent update

Justin West cjustinwest at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 02:42:28 CDT 2011

 Li An and I just came through section O
here is the deal:
as of July 7th there was snow (pretty much continuous) from mile 1452.5 to
1459.  thats it.  this is roughly elev 5300 and up, BUT totally dependent on
aspect.  example: at mile 1459 you go from the north face of ridge to south
face of ridge and the difference couldn't be more stark.  Same elevation but
on one side there are 10-20 foot leeward snow drifts and on the other the
penstemons are in full bloom.  wonderful time to be up there actually.  had
a ball. (also sweated my arse off)  I have never been so hot while walking
on snow.  couldn't drink enough water.  if you stay on summit lake road the
whole way you will see even less of the 6. 5 miles of snow, if you pick up
the road at 1451.25 you will avoid the toughest part around mushroom rock i
would imagine.
incidently we met southbound spoonman and hikeaholic who were through that
same section 15 days prior and they said they had 15-20 miles of snow.  so
from that to 6.5 in two weeks means the stuff is melting, and fast!

anyone have advice on quincey laporte rd (1235) to old station (1377)?
wondering how many miles and where (specifically) one can expect to see snow
i am writing a field guide...can't botanize with snow everwhere, as much fun
as glisading may be

be well and be safe all
justin
www.storythewalk.wordpress.com