[pct-l] Grizzly

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 17:41:00 CDT 2011

Hi Tortoise,

Use an OPSak as your food bag.  Smells can not get either in or out.  When using the OPSak's it is very important that you follow the instructions when sealing - and that you get no food smells ON THE OUTSIDE of the OPSak.  Then you can surround your food with the bear charms without the mothballs influencing the taste of your food. I also cover my food bags, saddle, and packs with a tarp at night so that bears can't see the food inside the transparent OPSak. I also lay a circle of bear charms around my tent - none closer than about 12 or15 feet.

An incident that made me a believer in the effectiveness of the OPSaks was when I had arrived at my cache location near the RR tracks about one-half mile south of Beldon Town.  Under about a foot of leaves, I had buried my resupply food including 34 pounds of processed horse feed, about nine days prior.  My food was in an 11.5" x 20" OPSak. The horse feed was in heat-sealed freezer bags, each containing either three or five pounds. I had thought that the thick plastic of the freezer bags would contain the horse feed smells, which included that of COB with molasses.  Wrong!  What I saw, while still mounted, when I arrived, was that all of the leaves had been scattered.  All of the horse feed was gone, the freezer bags shredded.  The OPSak with my food was intact as were one canister of fuel and two cans of V8 juice.  All had been buried together with 10 mothballs (I always use 10 so that I can be sure to recover all 10, by count, for recycling in
 future caches. I LNT when caching, by camoflaguing. After recovering a cache, I leave that spot looking as it did before I cached).  A ranger there told me that my horse food loss was the work of rodents. I don't think that a bear would have dug there because of the moth ball smells. The rodents could obviously smell the horse feed but not my food - and were not repelled by the moth ball smells. After that, and all the way on the PCT to Canada, I stored ALL food - mine and Primo's, in OPSaks - and continued to use the mothballs at caches and the bear charms while in camp. I had no further losses. I have since tested the effectiveness of moth balls with rodents and can say that the rats and mice here in Agua Dulce are not deterred by the smell of moth balls

Have a great hike!
MendoRider