[pct-l] Hidden Gems of Bridgeport

Jim Keener ( J J ) pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com
Sun Jul 10 13:47:12 CDT 2011

Greetings,

I haven't been to Kennedy Meadows (N), so I can't compare it to Bridgeport. But I have visited Bridgeport on several occasions. The first was in 2003, and I had left my car at the Leavitt Meadows TH, and hiked south along the West Walker River, over Kirkwood Pass, and out at Twin Lakes. Almost as soon as I stuck out my thumb, I got a ride. A beautiful woman who owned the local bakery. We went by the shop, picked up her husband, and they took me to Leavitt Meadows, pointing out another meadow along the way where they had been married.

There is a cafe on the south side of town that reminds me a bit of Idyllwild's Red Kettle. But beware it's tempting: homemade biscuits and homemade cinnamon bombs - eh rolls. The place closes at two so the staff can go hiking or climbing. The motel across the highway was okay - nothing special. The B&B served a good dinner. Expensive. I found the grocery store on the north end of town to have a limited variety, high prices, and unpleasant employees. Gasoline across the highway from there was very expensive.

I don't know if this is still the case, but several years ago, Bridgeport just about closed for the winter. Only a few places opened for a few daylight hours.

Walk well,
Jim Keener ( J J )