[pct-l] Stevens pass conditions and stehekin

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Jul 14 10:06:15 CDT 2011

Another thing hikers need to be aware of is that transitional phase between
solid snow and patches over the trail here and there. Consider the danger of
the steep traverse, you're not on the ridge and not going straight up the
valley. When it is completely covered, you're always tuned in and focused on
your balance. You're probably wearing your KTS crampons, too, for grip and a
predictable foothold.

Once you've dealt with this hazard, it is fantastic to have dry, flat trail
to stand on while cruising these bowls. Now your muscles can relax and you
can get a little speed going since you can "push" with your toes rather than
be "placing" or kicking each step. No need for crampons here.

Now, the problem comes when you hit that inevitable band of snow covering
the trail in a steep traverse and you need and want to cross it, but you
don't want to take the time to put back on your KTSs. So, you figure that
you'll just kick deeper steps across it and risk the slip-and-fall. Maybe
you don't even have your crampons or ice axe anymore since you sent them
home in Bridgeport. (This is what we were dealing with in the vicinity of
Twin Peaks near Alpine Meadows ski area--nasty benign-looking bowl traverses
in trees).

Patches can be more dangerous than solid snow.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150