[pct-l] PCT thru timing for 2012

karl jorgensen twizstix at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:27:37 CDT 2011

I get a big kick out of all the fuss about the start date for a  thru hike.
 I do believe that most hikers start to early.   Why start in March or even
April?   I was 60 turned 61 on the trail in 2006 and I was very successful
in my thru hike.  I did not start until May 8, and because of all the snow
that year took 9 zero days before the Sierra waiting for the snow to melt,
so a May 15 start date would have been perfect.  I do not think I am an
exceptional hiker, but I did not spend any time partying.  I finished on
Sept 9, and was very happy that I was able to fulfill a dream that I had had
since i was 17 years old.

Yes, you will have snow in the Mountains, but that snow gives you water to
drink, and it is very easy to get through.  In my opinion, forget the March,
early April, or even late April start date.    Leave in May and enjoy the
hike

jorgy 06