[pct-l] First Thru-Hike 2012; Start Date?

Lee Staley leestcoast at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 00:18:24 CDT 2011

Hey Jace, I second what Eric said, plus start getting out to the local mountains etc on the weekends and doing all the hiking that you can, overnighters and plus, to get used to your gear and used to hiking for multiple days.

Get a good headlamp and use it to hike some in the predawn hours and after evening-tide for an hour or 2 into the night.  You can still get in the miles in mid to late May by hiking in the cool early and late hours .  Like Eric indicated, don't rely on water caches, get fit enough to hike the big miles between natural water sources.  Be mentally prepared to go off the trail 1-2 miles to a natural source, when necessary.

Decide that you are really going to do this and get it all sorted out how it's going to happen by the end of January 2012.  Your primo thing is to graduate without too much senior-istists - and then to take off on the PCT as icing on the cake.  Expect obstacles and challenges...and stay flexible....

Best Luck, Cruz Control