[pct-l] Bunions and long distance hiking

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Mon Jul 18 15:04:58 CDT 2011

Hi, Ruffwork:

I have a bunion on my right foot. The biggest thing I did to mitigate
problems was start wearing shoes that were larger in the toe box. Hiking
naturally makes your foot grow larger, and I have gone from wearing a
woman's size 8 1/2 to a man's size 9, so my toes have more room to
spread out.

I also got a custom made orthotic which I wore for several years. It had
no padding on the bottom and the bottoms of my feet started to hurt
after about 10 miles of hiking, so I now use "Sole" padded and arch
support footbed. You heat the footbed in the oven, then insert it into
your shoe and stand in it to mold it to your feet. I really like it.

As a result of wearing larger shoes it seems to me that my bunion is
correcting a little. I also do stretches for the top of my foot and walk
barefoot at home to strengthen my feet.

I decided not to have surgery, fearful of the recovery time cutting into
my hiking. I asked people on this list serve the same question as you a
few years ago, and some people had successful surgery. The consensus was
that if the bunion wasn't painful, don't get surgery. Also, someone
recommended going to a foot and ankle clinic where they treat foot
problems holistically. Your gait may be causing part of the problem. I
had a gait analysis for IT band problems and found I turn my right foot
out too much and the arch collapses, causing pressure on the side of the
big toe--hence the bunion. But this was only one part of the equation.
Bottom line--distance hiking will continue to remain possible with some
mitigating measures.

--Fireweed

--Fireweed