[pct-l] Regional Rate Boxes

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 20 22:10:11 CDT 2011

Yogi,

I'm glad this is being discussed.  When sending ANY boxes Click-N-Ship via USPS this season (and dang, we sent a lot of them!) we ran into the issue with the USPS automatically directing numerous smaller trail post office c/o General Delivery addresses to some larger post office, often miles away from the trail post office the hikers need to get to.  We found the way to circumvent this issue was as follows:

1.  In the Company field for the package recipient, put c/o General Delivery.
2.  In the Address field below, type the actual street address of the post office where the package needs to be sent.

This of course required looking up the street address of the intended post office, which you can also do at the usps.com site.  I especially wanted to tell you this, so that the actual street addresses (not just city and zip) could be included in your book.

BTW, you were so spot on about the savings on the regional rate boxes.  In many cases the cost was a third of the already cheap flat rate.  I did notice the regional rate boxes get more expensive the further you send them, so the greatest savings are realized on the shorter delivery routes. But it was big time savings for hikers -- thanks for letting us know about it.

L-Rod