[pct-l] new

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jul 21 20:41:33 CDT 2011

Best food? In my opinion, it's stuff that's easy to find in a small
store. I don't like relying on maildrops. A few are okay but too many
are annoying. The tyranny of the post office and all that.

A good website is Dicentra's One Pan Wonders. http://
www.onepanwonders.com/ She's got good recipes. You will probably not
be able to do all of those for a thru-hike, but it might give you
some ideas you hadn't thought of. Dicentra has not done a thru-hike,
but she's an expert on making good food!

Most people start the trail between approximately April 15 and May
15. Some start earlier or later, but not much.

It's best, in my opinion, to hike the trail alone and then meet
people along the way. You will certainly find people you enjoy and
form a group to hike together if that is what you like. It's better
than finding someone in advance because those partnerships usually
don't last long unless there's a wedding ring involved. I met people
within 20 miles of the border.